LAU to sponsor journalists’ discussion on protests in Middle East
Lebanese American University will host a panel discussion in Washington, DC featuring journalists who will discuss the ramifications of the wave of popular protests currently taking place in Middle East. Each panelist will also address the role that both traditional and new media has played in these unprecedented activities.
Where: Mandarin Oriental Hotel (1330 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20024) in Oriental Ballroom B
When: Thursday, March 24th 6:30pm – 8:30pm
On the Panel:
Zeina Awad, correspondent for Al Jazeera English and host of “Fault Lines,” the channel’s flagship program. Her work with Al Jazeera has taken her throughout the region, including Algeria, Syria and Gaza. Before joining Al Jazeera, Zeina also worked with the BBC and Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
Jackson Diehl, deputy editorial page editor of the Washington Post. Jackson has been at the newspaper since 1978, covering metropolitan, then foreign news as a correspondent from Warsaw, Buenos Aires and Jerusalem. Jackson has performed editorial duties since 2000, and has won several awards since the 1980s for his coverage.
Max Fisher, associate editor of The Atlantic, where he writes and edits the magazine’s international coverage online. He’s written and edited the magazine’s coverage about everything from the recent earthquake in Japan to the political tumult in the Middle East, and its implication for global actors. Before joining The Atlantic, Fisher was also part of The New Republic’s staff. He graduated from the College of William and Mary.
- Live Chat with Manal El Tayar on studying at Sciences Po in France
- Live Chat with Salma Abdelnour, author of Jasmine and Fire
- LAU Facebook Cover Photos
- The Appointment of a New Provost
- Dr. Hussein Abbas and Dr. Ahmad Houri, co-authors of the Student’s Guide to Graduate Studies
- Live Chat with LAU President, Dr. Joseph Jabbra
- Prof. Fuad Hashwa and the MEDASTAR Program
- Live Chat with Dr. Mona Haidar on Social Medicine at LAU
- Live chat with Assistant Vice President for Enrollment Management Abdo G. Ghié
- Live Chat with LAU’s Vice President for University Advancement Mr. Richard Rumsey on social media at LAU
Join us on Facebook: